• Donate

Type donation amount in box below.

IMPORTANT! If you donate via PayPal using an e-mail address different than the one you are currently using on USMF and would like a 2022 Donor Icon added to your account, you MUST CONTACT vintageproductions or stratasfan and let them know what email address was used for the donation.

Thank you for supporting USMF.

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recent Posts

• aerialbridge
      Nice medal and great attention to detail, thanks for the side by side comparison. 
    • aerialbridge
      It sure is, the toning after 125 years in its suede case with the unique temperature, humidity, etc, it experienced,  is stunning.  The seller confirmed it came out of an estate sale in Dublin and that, "There is certainly great interest in this medal".    It should have a lot of  bidding movement in the last minute,  I'm guessing the final hammer at least $2570.   Could well be more, since I believe this is not just the first Dewey Medal on eBay this year, but certainly the first Olympia medal.   I don't recall when the last cased medal came up on eBay, but I think it's been quite a while.   Possibly the winner hasn't  bid yet and is keeping his powder dry for the final seconds, as we often see. 
    • skylog6
      Thanks for sharing all these medals and the informative discussion! I’m new to the forum and really enjoying it. I took a break while reading this thread to order "Fidelity, Zeal and Obedience" and hope that will assist me with identification of some of my NGCM from the 1920s, especially the one pictured here.   William Albert Marth enlisted 21 Dec 1920 and received his Navy Good Conduct Medal on 20 Dec 1924 (USS Doyen #280).   His first pin was earned on 5 Jan 1929 (USS Argonne) and his second pin was earned 23 May 1933 (USS Mahopac). Recommended on discharge 27 Mar 1936 for Good Conduct Medal, but there was no third pin when I acquired this group. Reenlisted 28 Mar 1936 for a period of four years. 28 May 1937 transferred to Fleet Reserve and released from Active Duty. Recalled to active-duty 30 Jul 1940 for duty in connection with conversion of USS Harris and USS Zeilin. Retired 1 Nov 1940. Earned the Yangtze Service Medal while serving on the USS Sicard in October 1926. This group included the Yangtze service medal M.No. 5037.   I like this medal because is shows the change in the early 1930s from Ship/Duty Station named pins to discharge year pins. I also like it as it is the most different of the NGCM medals I have. The stamping detail is especially clear on this medal (pictured on the left side by side with a 1920 issued medal).   I did see a couple very similar medals on this thread, one issued in 1923 (post #30) and one in 1925 (post #126). Three things I found in common with these medals. 1. 20 large portholes plus a small hawsepipe/cat’s hole 2. The first broken chain link at the 7 o’clock position does not come in contact with the anchor. 3. The “N” in Navy leans slightly to the right.    
    • digi-shots
      Thanks, Fred… if you come across the photo. Let me know, I’d like to see it
    • USMarineCorps
      That team patch is very nice. I have a picture of it “in the field” somewhere. I have been on the hunt for one of these since I first saw it almost a decade ago…   Fred
    • Bearmon
      The original patch had alternating blue and white squares as described in the post here Naval Operations Support Group   Any idea when it changed to all white?
    • Remember Me
      Measures 22x30. It's  signed.
    • Tonomachi
      I don't know.  I collect different versions of this type of USN patch with the winged griffon, lion body and fish tail clutching the red line.  I have never come across this variant before and if it was fake I would have thought I would have encountered more of them in the collector's market.   This could have been produced for one of the naval reserve units as there is or was a NR NSWG-1 in Sacramento, NR NSWG-1 Det 113 in Springfield, MO, NR NSWG-1 Det 119 in San Diego, CA, NR NSWG-1 Det 122 in Seattle, WA and NR NSWG-1 Det 219 in Port Hueneme. CA.  
    • Acadien359
      Good evening!     I recently acquired this M1910 mess kit/meat can. It's just like any standard 1910 to 1918 production version, except for the following features:   [1] Handle is completely unmarked and pressed ridge on top is not as pronounced as on the standard version. [2] Handle hinge socket and pull ring on lid are steel, instead of nickel silver. Note that the hinge socket does not have the raised ridge. Handle still retains traces of original tin plating on tip, so it's not a formerly marked version that had the markings ground off.   Note the nicks on both sides of the rim from banging on a GI can to empty out leftover food, a sure sign it saw [heavy] military use. Quality is exactly the same as the standard marked version.   My question is: could this possibly be a USMC contract piece, since the Marines weren't as big on contract marked/dated gear as the Army at the time [and well into WW2]? Or, could it be an early war production piece by Rock Island Arsenal, similar to the unmarked canteens and canteen cups made in 1917? Or, really going down a rabbit hole, possibly a trials/prototype of what would eventually become the M1910 mess kit?   I've had dozens of M1910 mess kits pass through my hands in the last 40 years, dated anywhere from 1910 to 1919, and this is the first one I've had or seen that was completely unmarked. Looking forward to hearing your opinions.   Thanks   Alan    
    • Acadien359
      Good evening!   I recently ran across an odd variant of the M1907 cartridge belt suspenders. They are Russell manufacture [marked on back of one of the rear straps], and of conventional M1907 style all the way, except for two things: [1] they are almost an OD #7 color, not the "pea green" that was used during the 1910-1916 period, and [2] they are made of a very thin webbing--the shoulder straps being the same style and weight webbing as used on a M1936 musette bag strap, and the belt straps being slightly heavier than the webbing used to make US Army name tapes during the Vietnam era.   Suspenders are shown next to a conventional pair of Mills manufacture.   My guess is that this version was probably made by Russell for commercial sales [military academies, state guards/militia, and similar military/paramilitary, but not Regular Army-type, organizations].   I'm always a nut for variations on web gear, and this one certainly qualifies.    Thanks    Alan 
  • * While this forum is partially supported by our advertisers, we make no claim nor endorsement of authenticity of the products which these advertisers sell. If you have an issue with any advertiser, please take it up with them and not with the owner or staff of this forum.