USMC finds today, Base Ball, 47yrs of service and MOH

dskjl

Private First Class Oscar Palmer Austin (January 15, 1948-February 23, 1969) was a United States Marine who was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for heroism and sacrifice of his own life in Vietnam in February 1969.

opa_rubbing_600.jpg

opa_pic2_500.jpg

opa_pic1_500.jpg

Great MOH tribute. You have enought to make this group a solid collector's centerpiece. Very nice!

Thanks JS, I'm feeling pretty fortunate.

Both are very nice groupings!

Reguarding Austins award document, just one quote from the Bible comes to mind,

John 15:13,

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

What a brave Marine! R.I.P.

normaninvasion

Love the first group and hope to hear more of his story. Baseball uniform looks earlier than most you see. Anyway to see a pic of the collar egas? Jeff

Love the first group and hope to hear more of his story. Baseball uniform looks earlier than most you see. Anyway to see a pic of the collar egas? Jeff

I will see if I can get better pics tonight before I package them up for the trip home.

as requested

Dwight3.jpg

Dwight2.jpg

Dwight1.jpg

Dwight4.jpg

Thanks, now to find a cap, maybe a forum member will have a spare.

Good luck with that. I've had my USMC baseball uniform (same as yours) for a few years and have been watching for a ball cap since then. Ebbets Field Flannels (in Seattle) had been available to custom-produce ball caps (using vintage wool flannel) to match. I procrastinated after spec'ing a repro cap, and they discontinued that part of their business...so no cap.

Good luck with that. I've had my USMC baseball uniform (same as yours) for a few years and have been watching for a ball cap since then. Ebbets Field Flannels (in Seattle) had been available to custom-produce ball caps (using vintage wool flannel) to match. I procrastinated after spec'ing a repro cap, and they discontinued that part of their business...so no cap.

if I find two I will send you a line.

Thanks

ludwigh1980

D, you have been cleaning up on your side of the hill as usual. Nice pieces, especially like that mounted group. You have to much stuff already, stop-it! :)

Found this in CA as I have traveling out west a great deal lately, love the new stomping ground but missing home.

Anyhow, thanks T

Dwight

Some great stuff...great trenched emblem...and medals! I wouldn't call them replacements, more like ones he bought post WWII to have mounted for his blues